Tuesday, October 31, 2017

this harp of my life







.



I drive down into the depth of the ocean of
forms, hoping to gain the perfect pearl of the formless.

No more sailing from harbour to harbour with this my weather-beaten boat.
The days are long passed when my sport was to be tossed on waves.

And now I am eager to die into the deathless.

Into the audience hall by the fathomless abyss where swells up the music of toneless strings I shall take this harp of my life.

I shall tune it to the notes of forever,
and, when it has sobbed out its last utterance, lay down my silent harp at the feet of the silent.



Gitanjali
Tagore translation



.







2 comments:

  1. Breathless - so beautiful... Are you familiar with a poem by Hafiz that starts - "Death is a favor to us," ? You may have posted it here at one time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, thanks for the reminder! here it is again ...

    ReplyDelete